Data Type Conversion Processor returns wrong date

Hi all,

I might have encountered a bug considering the Data Type Conversion Processor when it comes to Dates.
I wanted to create a simple example where a string gets converted with a fallback value and decided to just switch the order from DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS.MS to YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS.MS. I expected the output to be my fallback value but the result is neither my fallback nor anything close to the date I entered.

input:
image (4)

output:
image (5)

processor and its configuration:

It might be the case that the MM from your config actually interprets 2022 as 2022 months and 01 is interpreted as year 1 AD by the yyyy part. To me, this is very likely… 2022 months are 168.5 years plus the one from the year which results in 169 AD.

DateTimeFormatter (Java Platform SE 8 ) gives further information on the way, these formatters work.

Most probably, your “malformed” date is parsable with the formatter from the config. Therefore, the fallback value is not applied.
If you want to make sure that a certain format is exactly enforced, there might be ways to do so altering your formatter string or by a preceding processor that uses a regex to enforce exact token sequence.